Learn more about our Dynamic Insertion Technology and how to best use it to your advantage!
Our Dynamic Insertion Technology really opens up the possibilities of what you can do with your audio. From cross-promotional ads, to consistent intros across your entire catalog, to both on and off-platform campaigns, let Dynamic Insertion do the heavy lifting for you!
This article walks you through our Dynamic Insertion feature, what the different components are, and how to best use this feature to your advantage.
What exactly is Dynamic Insertion?
To put it simply, Dynamic Insertion allows you to place pre-recorded audio at specific timestamps in your episode(s). The type of audio inserted ranges from Programmatic and Host-Read Ads, Cross-Promotional campaigns, special news and announcements, repeated intro and outro clips for your show, and so so much more.
There are two very important components that allow for Dynamic Insertion to work properly: Insertion Points and Audio Blocks. You can’t have one without the other. Insertion Points are the markers placed within your episode while Audio Blocks are the clips of audio that are dynamically inserted into your episode. You can place Insertion Points within your episode, but if no Audio Block is assigned to it then no audio plays. These two components work together to make up what is known as Dynamic Insertion.
How does it work?
Dynamic Insertion stitches together audio files for your listeners as soon as they tune in to your show. Rather than serving the exact same audio file you upload to RedCircle, we create a version of your content on the fly when the listener downloads or streams your show.
This means that two listeners can download your show at the exact same time but receive slightly different copies of the content. For example, let’s say you’re concurrently participating in two different cross-promotional campaigns. One listener hears Cross-Promotional Ad ‘A’ when tuning in, while another listener hears Cross-Promotional Ad ‘B’.
So, how do two listeners hear two different audio clips? Before playing any audio, our system checks the Insertion Point placed on your episode and plays an available audio clip from the assigned Audio Block. Additionally, our system checks what rules are applied to that Audio Block (what’s the ‘play style’, what kind of ad should be played, etc.) and plays the appropriate clip. And all of this is done within microseconds! So your listeners won’t even notice a thing.
How can I best use it?
There are plenty of ways to use Dynamic Insertion to your advantage. Here are some of our favorites:
- Repeatable Content – Do you use the same intro and/or outro for each episode? Or perhaps you always transition from one half of the podcast to the other with a quick interstitial. Whatever the reason for repeatable content, you can use Dynamic Insertion to ensure that it plays consistently across your entire catalog. The best part? You only need to update one audio clip.
- Running Your Own Ads – Alongside RAP, you can work with advertisers directly (off-platform) to run ads on your show. Instead of “burning in” the ads, you can insert the ad read for a set period of time and remove it after that time passes. This opens up the advertising space for another buyer on your back catalog, all with just a few clicks.
- Natural-Sounding Ad Breaks – With our Dynamic Insertion Technology, you’re free to move your ad breaks anywhere you like in your episode. That way you’re not cut off in the middle of a sentence or have the ad play in an awkward place.
There’s a lot that goes into Dynamic Insertion, so we recommend reading through the below articles to become a Dynamic Insertion expert!
- Understand how Insertion Points function within Dynamic Insertion.
- Read more about Audio Blocks and their role within Dynamic Insertion.
- Learn how to make Dynamic Insertion work for you with our Dynamic Insertion Cookbook.
- Ready to start monetizing? See Dynamic Insertion for the RedCircle Ad Platform (RAP) to understand how our Dynamic Insertion technology works with our Advertising Platform.